All of this stands in stark contrast, to a conversation I had exited my last church and the final conversations with my leadership at that church. During that conversation, I heard a phrase that still echoes in my ear, that I think unfortunately echoes in too many hallways and offices. Even though often it is not spoken aloud, it is the unspoken understanding-
"We are a teaching church not a reaching church...."
There IS a difference, especially when it comes to how we approach our youth ministries in theses contexts. Here are my 10 quick thoughts about the difference between "Teaching Church" and a "Reaching Church"...
10. Care for "Our" Kids vs Care for "Their" Kids?
9. Comfortable in my Seat vs Uncomfortable on my Feet?
8. Inward Focus vs. Outward Focus?
7. Lecture Hall vs. Hospital Hallway.
6. Who is heading to Seminary vs. Who is heading to the Cemetery?
5. Accept the Facts vs. Accept in Faith? (*see photo above from a sermon a few weeks ago)
4. Earthly Knowledge vs. Heavenly Wisdom?
3. An "Us vs. The World" mindset vs. an "Us for World" mindset?
2. Defending Faith (apologetics) vs. Sharing Faith (evangelism)?
1. Programming vs. Ministering