9. Sign up for Teen Marketing Email List (ypulse, media post...)
8. Sign up for a Christian Youth/Teen Culture Email List (CPYU, Youth Culture Report....)
7. Take a Prayer Walk around the Mall, walking through the "teen" stores (Including Hot Topics and Spencers, besides the usual clothing stores.)
6. Watch a couple Awards Shows a year. (MTV Music/Movie, Nickelodeon Kid's Choice, Radio Disney (tween, pre-teen), Billboard....)
5. Watch a couple episodes of Popular TV Shows occasionally. (yes, you might actually have to own a TV and have cable. Netflix & Hulu are good also)
4. Don't Try to be Culturally Relevant by Acting, Dressing, Talking or Pretending to be something you are NOT! (40 year old dude, "muffin topping" it in skinny jeans...NO!)
3. Have a Student Leadership team, allow them to influence and have ownership of the ministry. (students know what their friends like, need to hear, and like to do. HINT: it is probably not what your youth group did back in the day)
2. Go to School Lunches (you will find out A LOT, you will find out what is relevant to your group, area and culture. What is hot in California or New York may not be cool in small town Iowa ! )
1. Take students out after-school (or whenever) ask questions, don't talk but rather listen!
**************** Bonus: If you don't know what the word means don't use it! If you want to find out what it means PLEASE use "Urban Dictionary"
AND as funny as the the above shirt is, don't buy that and wear it, it will NOT make you "culturally relevant".