Tween Girls Susceptible To Mobile Advertising
by Gavin O'Malley,
What’s less surprising? New research showing that female tweens are highly susceptible to mobile advertising, or the source of the finding -- female tween-targeted mobile ad agency MobiGirl Media?
Still, just how positively young girls seem to respond to marketing messages is remarkable.
In fact, 65% of girls surveyed said they are likely to buy products and services straight from mobile ads if there is a means to do so. Of those, a whopping 80% of girls say they would buy a product or service right away, while the remaining 20% said they would wait for a special occasion.
Perhaps most disturbing to parents, 27% of respondents they would make their purchase with a credit card, while 48% said they would ask their parents for the necessary funds.
A full 22% of respondents said they always tap on ads they see in mobile apps -- regardless of whether they’re interested in the featured product or service. (A more modest 56% of girls said they reserve their taps for ads featuring products or services that actually interest them.)
“The results show that most girls in this demographic do like advertising,” said Jennifer Noonan, MobiGirl Media cofounder, regarding the company’s target audience of 6-to-16-year-olds.
Also of note, the majority of female tweens (53%) said they share “cool” products or services with friends. Of those, 58% said they spread the word in person, while 42% share products and services via text and in-ad share buttons.
“For this demographic, if you offer them an ad for something they like, the click through. Share rates are impressive,” according to Noonan.
As for most desired categories, 48% of respondents favored fashion-related ads, followed by makeup products (21%); toys (12%), apps (11%); and books (8%).
MobiGirl also found that deals and promotional offers do impact response rates as 58% of female tweens said they love to get deals and free stuff.
For its research, MobiGirl said it got 775 girls -- ages 6-to-16 years old -- to take part in an in-app survey, earlier this month
Read more: http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/201140/tween-girls-suseptible-to-mobile-advertising.html?print#ixzz2V9olvA1E