Wednesday, January 9, 2013
Game #23: "Rubber Chicken Basketball"
Taking another classic game everyone knows and give it a good ran-dumb twist for your next youth group game with "Rubber Chicken Basketball"!
- 1 rubber chicken (*preferably one with a noise maker)
- Basketball court with 2 hoops
- 2 large sticks (broom stick or something similar)
You will be playing basketball using a rubber chicken, which seems kind of obvious considering the name!? You will split into 2 equal teams. The point of course is to score points by getting the chicken through the hoop. You can not of course dribble the chicken so the game becomes a game of passing and keeping possession of the chicken.
The rules are similar to those of Ultimate Frisbee (*see Ultimate Frisbee in 10 Simple Rules)
- Passing: players only have 2 steps and then they must pass of shoot
- Shooting: the chicken must touch the hoop in order for it to count as a "shot".
- Scoring: it is 1 point if the chicken goes through the hoop and gets stuck. 2 points if the chicken makes it through both the hoop and net. A long whistle blow will signify a score.
- Possession: players must pass to each other after only 2 steps, if the chicken touches the ground it changes team possession. A whistle is blown when possession changes.
- Boundaries: there are no out of bounds, unless you would like to make them for your group.
- Fouls: (HA!..because it is a chicken!?): there is no grabbing, pushing, or tackling. There is to zero physical contact otherwise there is a "jump chicken". A "jump chicken" is called when there is a foul or 2 players of the opposing team are in possession of the chicken. The chicken is tossed up between the 2 players in order to regain possession for the team.
- Large stick or Brooms: to help you knock down stuck chickens
You get the idea...create rules that best fit your group, area, and time. If you don't have a basketball court or basketball hoops. Use large buckets, boxes, or even clean garbage cans. It can also be played outdoors on a larger field more similar to Ultimate Frisbee, just with the goal being a large container or something similar!
Enjoy and Play Safe!!