Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Share More Than Your Opinion

Here is my thought, idea, and opinion!  We should start sharing more that just our thoughts, ideas and opinions.  I know that may sound hypocritical and rather silly, but here is the question.  Why not start sharing more than just our opinions and views on blogs, twitter, facebook, and other forums? I am not saying not to share thought and opinions.  I am say share MORE.  Each of us have games, lessons, illustrations, and a ton of other resources just sitting. Let us be honest you teach it, use it or try it and then you are done.  Your students have seen that, done that, then what?  It will sit in a closet or on your hard drive for 2-3 years or more.  Why not get more mileage out of it by letting others in on what you did and how it worked? 

I am excited to see facebook pages popping up and websites like Stuff You Can Use and Youth Leader StashIt is not that great magazines like Group Magazine or Youth Worker Journal aren't giving us places to share, but there should be more. I am scouring the web looking for others who are willing to share, especially in the Middle School/Jr. High forum.  I have found some great post about theology, culture, helpful hints, but not as much just plain "hey, here you go, this what worked great with my group." I would just love to see more blogs and online places popping up where we as MS/JH workers can "pool" our stuff.  Maybe I am wrong and I hope I am.  It just seems to me that there are a lot of blogs and social media dedicated to selling, promoting, defending, and just plain presenting opinions.  All of which is great to a point, but I would just love to see more sharing of the day to day resources. That is why I am trying to make my little place here, a spot to share more than my opinion. 

If you know some great people, places and blogs that are doing this well, let me know.  I would love to send them an apology and some flowers...or something?  For now please feel free to rummage around here for whatever you can find that will help you in your ministry.  As always feel free to comment or send me a message about any question you have.  I am always willing to help and share whatever I am doing or have learned in my 18 years of doing youth ministry.